Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Everybody talks about it, but only a few know how to get to the top. If you want a professional web presence, you have to know your way around SEO. Luckily there are a few easy things any small business can get started with to quickly improve rankings.
SEO Basics & Getting Started
SEO Series #1
What is SEO?
Essentially SEO is about improving and promoting your website to increase the visitor flow that you get from search engines such as Google and Bing. This is also called organic traffic and it is especially important for getting new business.
SEO consists many different elements such as the keywords on your website, the way other sites link back to your website, the construction of your site, the code of your website, the competition around your keywords from other websites and much, much more.
Search engines do two things – they crawl your site and then they index it. They do this in order to find out what your website contains so they can estimate its relevancy and show it in the search results list relative to the (key)words used in a particular search.
Search engines have different guidelines on how to get better rankings, but here are some from Google:
- Create a useful, information-rich site, and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content.
- Use keywords to create descriptive, human friendly URLs.
- Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines.
- Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links.
Get more simple tips from the Google Webmaster Academy (Highly recommended!).
SEO is all about keywords. These are the words you believe describe your business and your page content best and hopefully also the words you imagine people looking for your services/products would use when searching. Therefore it is very important that you use these keywords in your page content. Concentrate your best keywords on your most important landing pages such as your homepage or webshop.
TIP: Try out Google’s Keyword Planner (formerly known as Keyword Tool) to help find keywords. Note that you have to set up an Adwords Account to use this tool.
Get a Custom Domain Name
Having a custom domain is extremely important for SEO as well as for branding your business. Domains are inexpensive and you have the option to register one with mono for as low as €15 or register it elsewhere and simply point it to your mono site.
The technical stuff
Don’t sweat the very technical elements of SEO with your mono site. We’ve done the hard work for you. mono sites are built in HTML5, the very latest in website technology and the most search engine friendly code. Just concentrate on writing great, relevant content.
Other Tools and Resources
- YouTube: Never underestimate YouTube tutorials! Just type e.g. “SEO tutorial” and then just watch and learn.
- mono blog: We will continue to blog about SEO, so stay tuned!
- SEO manual: If you are eager to learn much more about optimizing your site we recommend that you take the time to read the Beginner's Guide to SEO by MOZ. It is really thorough and very helpful for both beginners and advanced users.
What are your Experiences with SEO?
Do you have any positive or negative experiences with SEO? Please share! And feel free to comment in the field below if you have any particular areas you would like us to focus on or go more in depth with in future blog posts.